Gazette Article - How To Properly Handle Trout!

Friday, November 30, 2012

New Orvis Silver Sonic Convertible Top Waders - First Impressions

Happy client holding fish of the day.

















I recently received my new pair of Orvis Silver Sonic waders in the mail, and had my chance to put them to the test guiding 2 anglers for a full day on the Dream Stream. The water was low and clear, which is typical for Colorado in November. These less than ideal water conditions meant we were gonna have to do some walking for our best chance to consistently catch fish.  A great test for the new gear!

Right after putting on the Silver Sonic waders I noticed how light they were without feeling cheap. The legs have four layers of nylon in the spots where necessary such as the knees, and the upper half of the waders are very light.  This is an ingenious design because how much time do you really spend standing in water past your waist? Rarely is there any real stress put on the waders from the wading belt up, and if you're into swimming marathons in your waders the upper half of the Silver Sonic seems more than durable enough to handle the job.

The biggest reason I wanted to try the new Orvis waders was that I desperately wanted a pair that I could fit my size 13 feet into without having to squeeze through tight ankle cuffs. I am very happy to say that I could get out of them without a crowbar! Not only did I not need a stick of dynamite, but I will go so far as to say they were the easiest waders to get in and out of that I have ever owned. Crises averted...

Another quality that I really appreciate about these new waders is the fit. There is enough room to wear several layers of clothing underneath without being to baggy. The best word I can use to describe the fit is comfortable.  As for aesthetic appeal, they look every bit as good as every other high end pair of waders on the market.

The convertible top is another great example of both form and function inherent in this product. I have been wearing pant waders for the last 3 years because they are cooler and more comfortable than chest waders, but if I wanted to kick around in a float tube I either had to bring a extra pair of waders or get used to the idea of getting wet. Now I have the best of both worlds! To convert them into a pant wader simply unbuckle the front and back buckles and the top slides down to your waist while your straps stay put on your shoulders.

Other notable things that I would like to mention before I let you go are: the leg seems, pockets, and gravel guards. The leg seems run along the back, and having the seems in the back rather than the sides is a great way of avoiding abrasion caused by walking. There are 3 chest pockets. One of which is water proof and great for cameras or cell phones. I tried to operate my iPhone while in the pocket and was able to slide between screens and navigate perfectly.

Last but not least Orvis included vents in the back of the gravel guards for water to escape. This is great for reducing weight making them easier and more comfortable to walk around in. The gravel guards are also made with nylon which seems to be very durable. It's clear that Orvis put a lot of thought and effort into the design of the Silver Sonic waders.  They even include both U.V. and traditional Aqua Sealant, an alcohol prep pad for detecting pin hole leaks complete with instructions on proper care, and a replacement shoulder strap. This attention to detail, and the Orvis warranty are why I'm confident in saying that you can not find a better wader for $260.      

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *